KISAN VIKAS PATRA- KEY FEATURES
Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) is a saving scheme certificate which can be purchased from a bank or post office. In this scheme, the deposit amounts get doubled in 10-years and 3-months.
Earlier this scheme was discontinued back in 2011, but again re-launched in November, 2014.
- Deposit a lump sum amount and purchase KVP certificate. The deposit amounts get doubled in 10-years and 3-months. You can get the maturity amount after this period by depositing the certificate.
- Backed by government of India.
- Safe investment option. And guaranteed returns.
- KVP certificate can be pledged as a security to get loan from banks.
Income Tax Benefits
No income tax benefits. No TDS (Tax deducted from source) during maturity from post office or bank in this scheme.
Where, How and Who can open the Account?
- Only Indian residents can purchase KVP certificates.
- KVP certificates can be purchased by an adult for himself, an adult on behalf of a minor or a person of unsound mind of whom he is the guardian, joint account by up to 3-adults.
- You can purchase any number of KVP certificates.
- You can buy KVP certificate from any nationalized banks, post office and from few commercial banks.
- KVP certificate can be purchased by cash or cheque.
- From 01-July-2016, the KVP certificate is issued in either e-mode (online mode) or passbook mode. The passbook is similar to saving bank account passbook. Earlier it was physical certificate.
Deposit limits, Maturity periods & Interest rate
- Minimum- Rs.1, 000/-.
- No maximum limit on the deposit amount.
- Deposit amount should be in multiples of Rs.100/-.
- Maturity period is 10-years and 3-months. It may be changed from time to time by the government.
- Currently annual interest rate is 7.00%. Interest rate remains same throughout the tenure of KVP.
- From 01-April-2016 onwards, the interest rate has been announced on a quarterly basis.
- This scheme follows yearly compounding frequency from 01-April-2016.
- Can be closed pre-maturely after 30-months from the date of issue.
- For this you have to surrender the KVP passbook, and if you had opted for online mode for viewing KVP purchase, your online access will be removed.
- Loan facility- Available by pledge the certificate.
- Account transfer- KVP certificate can be transferred from one person to another person. It can be done as many times as possible. Also, can be transferred from bank to post office and vice versa.